Niagara Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Niagara Sports

A place for fans of Niagara University basketball, hockey and more.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dwyer Arena

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RCM

RCM

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 10:43 am

I keep hearing talk of re doing Dwyer...

A few things

1. nu has quietly spent close to $500k fixing pipes and foundations at Dwyer. They took cheap way when rink was built. The company to save money didn't dig deep enough. Foundation was cracked and unlevel. It got so bad you could look down main rink and see the pitch

2. Dwyer was never reall designed for the complete bowl. Technically it was but they knew any completion would be too cost prohibitive. But that's how they sold it.

3. Dwyer will never be changed from its current state. i was told by a former asst AD that Dwyer has never been in the black since the day it opened. That is why it is now its own Corp

Back to top Go down
Maldez

Maldez

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 12:49 pm

RCM wrote:
I keep hearing talk of re doing Dwyer.....

I have to assume you're hearing talk from people who want to have Dwyer re-done, not from people in power who have intentions of doing it?
Back to top Go down
RCM

RCM

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Eagle

Eagle

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 3:29 pm

My guess is Dwyer makes money...athletics is always has lots of smoke and mirrors.

If we had a winning team and a little pizzazz it would be a significant money maker, just like basketball.

Whether it is a private corp makes no difference, in the non-for-profit world it is all about cash flows.

NU sports has great potential and lousy administration that is running it further and further into the ground IMO.

Back to top Go down
RCM

RCM

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 6:25 am

Dwyer in deed makes no money

NU is only team in nation that bills their men's team for all their ice. This was one of the death nulls for women's ice hockey. If the men's team wants a captain skate they are billed. They are billed for all practices and games.

This bills is probably $150k a year or more.

There were never any actual plans to complete Dwyer. The costs to do that were cost prohibitive from the start. Folks were fooled and told a bunch of BS. Likely not on purpose, but like a game of telephone. The truth keeps getting pushed further out.

Drive to the outside of Dwyer, around the bulding behind the locker rooms. You'll see 8 large support beams. I was shown these by a former large supporter of NU hockey. They were shown to me to dispel the notion of the rink could be "completed"

Back to top Go down
Eagle

Eagle

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 9:04 am

Not questioning your info but just do not understand the advantage of Dwyer being private.

What I do understand is that we never get the straight story from NU sports and for some inexplicable reason they think people keep buying their Kool Aid. All they are doing is alienating NU's fans.

Anyone who has been in the construction business for five minutes could tell from the design of Dwyer that it would never be expanded; again, a bunch of BS.
Back to top Go down
RCM

RCM

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 9:05 am

Amen to that Eagle!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dwyer Arena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dwyer Arena    Dwyer Arena  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dwyer Arena